This is the harrowing moment a mum suffers a full-on panic attack – as her children play innocently in the background.
Can you relate to Sophie? Remember, you are not alone! The Channel Mum psychologist in residence, Emma Kenny, has put together an Anxiety Course and Toolkit that you can use to help better manage your anxiety.
Parents particularly are vulnerable to suffering from anxiety, even if they have never had issues with mental health before. Our research has revealed that 85% of mums say they suffered from some form of anxiety or mental health issue while pregnant or since becoming a mum. More than half didn’t even get a warning that this could happen!
In our research, we found that…
– Three in ten mums have suffered at least one panic attack and more than a quarter of these have had multiple stress-related episodes.
– 23 per cent have had a panic attack when their child was present.
– Half of mums hide their attacks and have never told anyone they suffer.
– Two in five worry they will be judged for having panic attacks while a quarter fear their children could be taken away if they admit to suffering.
– The most common trigger for panic attacks is feeling ‘I can’t cope’, suffered by 48 per cent of mums reporting attacks, alongside 37 per cent who fear ‘I’m not a good enough mum’.
– The most experienced symptoms include being unable to breathe, suffered by seven in ten and 63 per cent who broke down crying uncontrollably.
– Three in five describe the feeling as ‘overwhelming dread’ with 22 per cent even contemplating suicide.
We’ll be releasing new videos and toolkit content each week, so make sure to come back to the Anxiety Course page each week: https://www.channelmum.com/c/anxiety-course
And to speak to Emma or one of our fantastic trained parent supporters, head on over to our Support Group: https://www.channelmum.com/chat/
Taking part in this video:
Mama Mei – https://www.channelmum.com/creators/mama-mei
Production music by www.epidemicsound.com
Don’t miss a thing – hit that button and subscribe to Channel Mum today https://www.youtube.com/user/channelmum
Channel Mum is the UK’s first YouTube community for mums. We bring together the best of YouTube mum talent to reveal the honest face of parenting.
Channel Mum partners with talented creators and vloggers who make fresh, relevant and honest video content and help mums to find and grow their vlogging voice on YouTube.
Add your Channel: http://bit.ly/CMJoinIn